Should you require access to any personal information that we hold about you OR should any of the information we hold about you be incorrect, please ask us to correct it.
To ask for access and correction of such information, please contact our Privacy Officer at : Privacy@thelawassociation.nz
See the Privacy Commissioner’s website for more information about your rights.
This privacy statement explains how The Law Association manages the personal information we hold. It explains what information we collect, why we need it, how we will use it and who we might share it with. It also explains how we protect personal information and your rights to access or correct the information we hold about you.
We may update this privacy statement from time to time, to reflect changes to privacy law or our operations. This privacy statement was last updated in April 2023.
What personal information we collect about you
We need to collect personal information about members, prospective members, CPD attendees and presenters, committee members, event attendees and customers, in order to support our membership, deliver products and services and carry out our lawful functions.
We collect most of this information directly from you, but may also collect information from third parties which have your authorisation to share this with us. We may also use publicly available sources to update our records (for example, where members change employment).
We may collect or create the following personal information about you:
- Members and prospective members – full name, contact details, qualifications and educational history, employer and role, participation in The Law Association events
- CPD attendee and presenter – name and contact details, dietary preferences, financial information, record of CPD events attended, photos and video of CPD events and attendees, responses to surveys
- Committee members – name and contact details, employer and role, dietary preferences, participation in The Law Association events and LawNews
- Event attendees – name and contact details, dietary preferences, financial information, photos and video of events and attendees, responses to surveys
- Customers (including WebForms subscribers) – name and contact details, transaction history, financial information
Where we have interacted with you (for example, via email or online) we will also create and retain records of these interactions and communications.
In addition, we collect information about your activity on our website (for more details, see the ‘Cookies’ section below) and, where relevant, your marketing preferences.
It is our regular practice to photograph and video people attending our events and these photographs may be published (e.g., in LawNews, our Annual Report, on this website, social media including live streaming).
WebForms and Digital Signing Service
As a WebForms user, your personal information will be used to provide the WebForms service and administer your user subscription.
When you include personal information about other people in the forms (for example, names of parties) this personal information will be held by The Law Association on your behalf. The Law Association will not access or use that personal information for its own purposes, or disclose it to any third party, with the exception of the Digital Signing third-party provider and our trust service provider. See the WebForms Terms and Conditions for more information about your obligations when using WebForms.
The Digital Signing Service that supports WebForms is provided by a third party, not The Law Association. It is subject to separate Terms and Conditions. Your personal information, and the personal information about others that you include in any WebForms documents that use the digital signing service, is collected and held by this third party and subject to its privacy statement and practices.
How we use your personal information
Your personal information helps us to support our membership, deliver products and services, run an efficient and compliant business, and carry out our lawful functions. To meet these purposes, we will use your information to:
- Members – administer your membership and communicate with you about your membership
- CPD attendees– manage your attendance and participation in CPD, including where you have chosen to do so, keeping a record of your CPD
- CPD presenters – engage and support you in providing CPD presentations
- Committee members – support you in fulfilling your role as a committee member, including communicating with you about this role
- Event attendees – communicate with you about the event and invite you to future events
- Customers – to administer and facilitate transactions (e.g., via WebForms, Bookstore).
In addition, we may from time to time communicate with you about products or services that we offer, or that our partners wish to offer. We may also send you surveys from time to time to help us and our partners improve our products and services. We respect your choices about receiving such communications from us.
You can opt out of receiving these emails from us by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each email.
When we disclose your personal information
In order to meet the purposes for which we collect personal information, we may need to disclose information to third parties from time to time. We may disclose personal information about you to:
- our trusted service providers, including those who provide and support our technology services
- third parties, where you have agreed we can do so
- other committee members when you are a member of a committee
- other agencies where required or permitted by law.
If we need to disclose personal information to overseas third parties, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that these overseas third parties manage and protect your personal information in accordance with our privacy laws.
We do not rent, sell or lease your personal information to any third parties.
As set out above, we may publish photographs and videos taken at our events.
How we protect your personal information
We store all personal information we collect in secure systems that are only accessed by the right people when they need it. We take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from loss, misuse or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Embedded content from other websites
You can access or correct your personal information at any time
You have the right to ask us for a copy of the information we hold about you, or to ask us to correct it if you think it’s wrong. To make a privacy request, update your information, or tell us about any concerns, please:
Call us on : 09 303 5270
Email us at: Privacy@thelawassociation.nz
Write to us at: Attention: Privacy Officer, The Law Association, PO Box 58, Shortland Street, Auckland 1140
Tell us if you have concerns about your information
If you have any concerns about the way we’ve collected, used or shared your information, or you think we have refused a request for information without a good reason, then please let us know using the contact details above and we’ll try our best to resolve them.
This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allow us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customise your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media.